Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Feast your nose on this!

One of the great things about the college campus that I live on is that everything is student-run. The cashiers at the campus bookstore, the financial aid officers, many of the teachers (Actually, TAs, but they have much the same function), and the chefs at the numerous dining centers are all students. Not only does this mean that there are plenty of job opportunities for the students who, without a doubt, need the money, but it means that students have more control. If something is wrong, the people who are likely to be affected negatively have the power to fix it.

Bryan, a sophomore (I think) is the Resident Advisor, or RA, for the fourth floor, where I live, in my residence hall. As I recently found out, he's also one of the chefs at the nearest dining center. He has been able to get implemented some of the best changes that this dining center has seen in a while, such as the addition of onions as a burger topping, and adding three new cheeses (Pepperjack, Cheddar, and Swiss) to the otherwise bland choice of only American for cheeseburgers. I'm not sure, but he may have been behind the decision to add "Vault" to the soda fountain.

His latest change is interesting, though. A few days ago, somebody asked for a really hot burger. Bryan, in all his wisdom, stole the hottest toppings from various other stands and counters at the same dining center, and brought them together at the grill with a few already normal ingredients to invent something clever and new. This particular customer got on his bun some sort of pinkish sauce that I haven't yet identified, though it may involve horseradish. In addition, cooked for him were two patties, each with its share of various other grilled ingredients, including jalapeƱo pieces (a lot), bacon slices, red peppers, some of the red pepper seasoning normally used for pizza, ultra-sharp onions, and pepperjack cheese.

Only a few saw this cooked the first time, myself included, but the word spread quickly, and the lovingly-named "Inferno Burger" is rapidly increasing in popularity. This burger hasn't yet been officially added to the menu (the name came from Bryan and his new fans), and can only be ordered at lunch on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, when Bryan is working the grill, as he is the only person who cooks it. It is currently processed as a double cheeseburger by the cashiers, who don't have any more accurate price scheme for it yet.

Though I have seen it cooked a few times, I only got a chance to try it today. It is, without a doubt, the hottest burger I have ever tasted, though with all the things added, I think I may ask for a single patty next time, because this burger is freakin' huge. As far as flavor is concerned, it is absolutely wonderful, but those inexperienced with "spicy" may do well to avoid it until they get more practice with something cooler, like a bowl of brown mustard, or an entire bag of "Flamin' Hot Cheetos", as this is hot enough to drown out the actual flavor of the meat for those who aren't ready for it. I myself was surprised at the heat, as most of the ingredients are usually somewhat mild, but take on a new dimension when put combined.

If you've had Dairy Queen's "Flamethrower Grillburger", you won't be ready for this. If you regularly drink bottles of tabasco sauce, you might be ready for this. If you complain that the wasabi on your sushi is too cold, you'll be ready for this.

On a closing note, I'd suggest that you follow the vague recipe I gave you and make this for yourself. Provided that you don't sneak this into somebody else's burger, you should find yourself satisfied. If you're a prankster, though, get ready to run, because somebody will be pretty angry at you if you catch them off guard.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home